Get ready for a favorite comfort food classic turned whole food plant based that will knock your socks off! I’m telling you your whole family will LOVE this Easy Vegan Broccoli Cheese Casserole! OMG SO GOOD!
Healthy Whole Food Plant Based Comfort Food Classic
This Vegan Broccoli Cheese Casserole is dairy free, oil free, and can be made gluten free as well. This is a filling dish that can be served all by itself or as the main dish or side dish.
It’s even great for the Holidays! Serve this at Thanksgiving or Christmas and you won’t have any leftovers left, so you better make double! 🙂
Broccoli cheese sauce is loaded with veggies
These cheese sauce is one I’ve been tweaking for a while and I think it is the BEST you’ll try. You can use this low fat vegan cheese sauce for any other recipe and it even has hidden veggies in it – your non-veggie loving kids, grandkids, spouse, or friends will never know it’s got cauliflower & carrots in it!
Easy Vegan Broccoli Cheese Casserole is super simple & easy to make
This simple recipe can be put together in just 15 minutes and then bake for 20, so it makes it great for a quick & filling meal any night of the week when you’re short on time.
Use Pantry & Freezer Staples to make this WFPB Broccoli Cheese & Rice Casserole
You can use all pantry & freezer staples to make this recipe so you can always have the ingredients on hand without worrying that they will go bad.
Staples like frozen steam bags of broccoli, cauliflower & carrots, brown rice, cashews, vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, whole wheat bread crumbs, and spices make up this recipe so it’s easy to whip up in a jiffy.
Packed with nutrition for a complete meal
This casserole is loaded with 10 grams of protein, 6 grams of fiber, potassium, calcium, vitamin C, and tons of vitamin A per serving. The sodium is pretty close to that 1:1 ratio of sodium to calories, but you can make it even lower sodium if desired by leaving out the additional salt and/or whole wheat bread crumbs which also add some sodium.
Comment below if you try it!
Here’s some more Whole Food Plant Based recipes you might like:
- BBQ “Pulled Pork” Soy Curl Sandwiches
- Italian Lentil Meatballs
- Slow Cooker Mexican Enchilada Soup
- Vegan Teriyaki Cauliflower Wings
- Creamy Vegan Fettuccine Alfredo
- Vegan Eggplant Parmesan
Learn How to Make Delicious Plant Based Recipes that are Quick, Easy, & Cheap!
Are new to a whole food plant based diet and a little overwhelmed? Not sure what you should and shouldn’t eat? Need help transitioning slowly with delicious & simple recipes your whole family will love that take 30 minutes or less? Let me help you with my Quick & Easy Plant Based Power Pack! I’ll give you the WFPB basics in simple to understand terms and tips on transitioning in a way that works for you. Learn more about my Quick & Easy Plant Based Power Pack HERE
This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I love and it helps keep this website running!
Easy Vegan Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked
- 8 cups broccoli florets fresh or frozen
- 2 cups cauliflower florets fresh or frozen
- 1 cup cashews, unsalted (soak for 5 min in hot water if you don't have a high powered blender)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled & sliced (or use 1 cup from a frozen steam bag)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. If you need to cook your brown rice do this now (generally it takes 1 cup dry brown rice to yield 3 cups cooked brown rice, but can vary by variety)
- Steam your cauliflower florets. I like to use the frozen steam bags or you can place cauliflower in a microwave safe dish, add 1-2 tablespoons of water, cover, and cook on high for 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Add the carrot slices to a small pot of water on the stove & bring to a boil. Boil for about 5-6 minutes or until carrot is fork tender.
- Steam your broccoli florets. I like to use the frozen steam bags or you can place broccoli in a microwave safe dish, add 1-2 tablespoons of water, cover, and cook on high for 5 minutes until tender.
- Add all your cheese sauce ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth & creamy. (if you don't have a high powered blender, be sure you soak your cashews in warm water for 5 min, then drain prior to adding to blender)
Assemble the casserole
- Mix together the whole wheat bread crumbs & 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast in a bowl & set aside. (if using)
- In a 9X12 or 10X13 baking dish, add the cooked brown rice & steamed broccoli. Cover with cheese sauce & mix together to combine well. If using the whole wheat bread crumbs mixture, sprinkle on top.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. If you want your topping more browned, broil for 2 min.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes, then serve! Store leftovers covered in the fridge for up to a week.
New to WFPB eating? Grab my Ultimate Plant Based Grocery Shopping List for FREE! Just fill out the form below to have it zoomed to your email, plus my weekly newsletter chocked full of new recipes & plant based eating tips.