Macaroni and Cheese….the classic American favorite. Ever since going whole food plant based, vegan mac and cheese is one recipe that I’ve spent years trying to make so that it tastes good, but is also healthy, low sodium, and low fat. Yeah, you an load it up with lots of nuts for the sauce, but then for those of us trying to lose or maintain weight loss, that’s a no-go. It’s been a major work in progress, but I finally cracked a recipe that I LOVE!
How to Make Whole Food Plant Based Oil Free & Low Fat Mac & Cheese
This Vegan Mac and Cheese recipe is delicious AND nutrient dense! And even oil free & low fat. I only use a small amount of cashews in the sauce for creaminess and flavor, but vegetables make up the rest of the sauce so it’s LOADED with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytonutrients!
Not only is this whole food plant based mac n cheese tasty and guilt-free, it’s actually GOOD for you!
I’ve seen lots of macaroni cheese sauce recipes out there that use potatoes as the sauce base and that’s fine, but I never really loved the texture or taste personally.
But after creating my Vegan Fettuccini Alfredo pasta and using cauliflower as the main sauce ingredient, I knew I was on to something and decided to give it a try making a healthy, low fat, oil free, vegan mac n cheese.
The BEST Oil Free Vegan Mac and Cheese
AMAZING! This is the BEST Vegan Mac and Cheese and I think you’ll agree. This is a great way to sneak cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower into your or your family’s diet. You don’t taste the cauliflower so it makes a great addition to sauces.
Plus, it’s SUPER simple and fast to make with normal ingredients you can find at any grocery store. Even Wal-Mart.
And actually I like to by the Great Value brand bags of frozen steamable cauliflower because it’s the perfect amount (4 cups) and I throw it in the microwave to steam. You can cook your cauliflower & carrots all together or separately. Steam or boil. Doesn’t matter.
How to Make Creamy WFPB Mac & Cheese Sauce
This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I love and it helps keep this website running!
I have a Vitamix high powered blender which I LOVE because it gets sauces super creamy. But if you don’t have a high powered blender, you can still make this recipes, but be sure to soak your cashews in warm water for at least 20 minutes to soften them.
What Kind of Pasta to Buy for Whole Food Plant Based Mac and Cheese?
Make sure to look for whole wheat elbow noodles or shells so that you get all the fiber and nutrients that’s important for gut health & immunity. White pasta is refined because it’s has had most all the fiber and nutrients removed…booo.
Barilla is a good brand that make whole wheat elbow noodles, but I’ve also found that Wal-Mart has a Great Value brand of whole wheat elbow noodles. Shells are a great shape as well.
Going gluten-free? No problem! With all the bean & lentil pastas on the market you can still have pasta and stay gluten free! Banza is a great brand that has elbow noodles made from chickpeas so they are gluten free, high protein, and high fiber!
I think you’ll love this easy whole food plant based mac and cheese recipe that’s ready in LESS than 30 minutes!
Try this recipe and let me know in the comments below what you think!
More great whole food plant based oil free recipes you might like:
- The BEST Creamy Vegan Fettuccini Alfredo
- Instant Pot Vegan Mexican Rice
- Instant Pot No-Soak Vegan Charro Beans
- Easy Vegan Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Vegan Teriyaki Cauliflower Wings
- Healthy Vegan Chef Boyardee Pasta
- Vegan Baked Eggplant Parmesan
The BEST Vegan Mac N Cheese (WFPB, Oil Free, Low Fat)
- 16 ounces whole wheat elbow noodles or shells bean or lentil pasta for gluten free
- 4 cups cauliflower florets fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup carrots, sliced fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup cashews unsalted
- 1 cup vegetable broth, low sodium or water
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt optional
- Bring a large pot of water to boiling and add the elbow macaroni. Cook until tender, about 12-15 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, place the cauliflower & carrots in a microwavable dish and add 2 tablespoons of water. Cover and microwave for 5-7 minutes or until tender. You can also boil the vegetables until tender instead of steaming. Drain the excess water.
- In a high powered blender, add the cooked cauliflower, carrots, and all the rest of the ingredients. Blend until smooth & creamy. ***If you don't have a high powered blender you will want to soak your cashews in warm water for 20 min to soften them before blending.
- Drain the pasta in a colander and then return to the pot. Add the cheese sauce and mix until well combined. Serve immediately!
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for a week.
New to a Plant Based Diet? Grab my Plant Based Diet Beginner’s Guide for FREE! Just fill out the form below to have it zoomed to your email, plus my weekly newsletter chocked full of new recipes & plant based eating tips.