This week was a harder week and next week will be even worse. This was camp week….
Meaning, I was chaperoning my son’s 5th grade YMCA camping trip where I didn’t have much control over what I was eating. Also, I didn’t have a scale with me, so when this week 5 technically ended, I don’t know how much I weighed. I had to weigh when I got back, which was actually a few days into Week 6.
Whole Food Plant Based Super Bowl Party
We did host a Super Bowl party on Sunday and we had only Nutritarian food! My friends are not nutritarian, BUT they do appreciate eating healthy and the food was a hit! I ended up giving out my Taco Bean Soup recipe and the Peanut Butter cookies were gone!
This article may contain affiliate links. Meaning, if you click a link and make a purchase I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I love!
I watched a really good documentary on Amazon Prime this week – Foods that Cure Disease. It’s over 4 hours long because it includes a whole bunch of cooking demonstrations of whole food recipes! One of the recipes I tried this week for our super bowl party was the no-oil hummus recipe and it was YUM!
Dr. Fuhrman’s Healthy Chocolate Cake
I did make a few new recipes this week – like Dr. Fuhrman’s Healthy Chocolate Cake (in his Eat to Live Cookbook) but you can also get it here from the Dr. Oz website.
My tip with making the Healthy Chocolate Cake is to make sure you taste your hazelnuts BEFORE you make the icing. Unfortunately, the hazelnuts I bought were rancid and I didn’t know that until after I had made the icing and put it on the cake…. I had a hard time even finding hazelnuts and they were prepackaged so I could’t even taste them before I bought them. I’ll use a different icing recipe or use a nut that is more likely to be fresh and hasn’t been sitting on a shelf for months next time…
I finally got a Vitamix Blender!
I also killed my Ninja blender this week because I overloaded it making the Peanut Butter cookies. That’s what I get for trying to take a short cut and not blend the ingredients separately….but that means I have a Vitamix now!
I found a Vitamix 5300 from Sam’s Club a little cheaper, but you can also get them on Amazon.
OMG. You really don’t know how good a Vitamix is until you use one. I had NO idea, how creamy and smooth it can make things. I thought that small chunks in my fruit and greens smoothie was just “normal”….ummm no. My Vitamix actually gets the smoothie so smooth that you can’t see kale chunks AT ALL and even pulverizes the raspberry seeds. Nothing to get stuck in your teeth! Worth. Every. Penny.
Nutritarian Diet Food Journal Week 5
Day 29: 152 pounds to start
- Breakfast – Fruit & Greens Smoothie (Frozen Strawberries, blueberries, tropical mix, banana, Kale, OJ, & ground flax seed) and coffee w/unsweetened almond milk
- Lunch – Whole grain pita pocket with spinach, hummus, onion, green olives, pepitas, roasted peppers; healthy chocolate cake.
- Dinner – Soybean Pasta with Marinara; corn kernels.
- Breakfast – Avocado Toast (Ezekiel Bread) w/Raspberries; coffee w/unsweetened almond milk
- Lunch – Quinoa and Green Peas, healthy chocolate cake.
- Dinner – Tofu Marinara w/Green Beans.
- Late Breakfast – whole grain blueberry pancakes; coffee with unsweetened almond milk
- Lunch/Dinner – Qdoba – Burrito Bowl – brown rice, black beans, fajita veggies, corn, pico, lettuce, cilantro; guacamole/chips
- Snack – Chocolate Chip Cookie….not nutritarian! Even, though I ate the cookie, I have to tell you I didn’t have any cravings to eat another one. In the past, I would have eat 4-5 cookies because I just couldn’t stop. So it was nice to be able to stop and not have crazy desires to keep eating!
Day 32: SUPER BOWL!
- Breakfast – Avocado Toast (Ezekiel Bread), raspberries & coffee w/unsweetened almond milk
- Lunch – I don’t remember eating anything since I was so busy cooking all day, so I guess I didn’t.
- Dinner – Super Bowl Party! – Taco Bean Soup, raw veggies (broccoli, celery, rainbow carrot sticks) and tangy no-oil hummus, corn on the cob, guacamole, and peanut butter cookies. I did have a couple glasses of red wine – the first in a month!
- Breakfast – Avocado Toast (Ezekiel Bread), Pomegranate arils, coffee w/unsweetened almond milk
- Lunch – Plate of raw veggies & left over no-oil hummus (broccoli, celery, rainbow carrot sticks, bell peppers); healthy chocolate cake..
- Dinner – Taco Bean Soup, tortilla chips, and vegan soft cheese… I bought some vegan cheese made from coconut milk and probably shouldn’t have. It was really good so I couldn’t stop eating, which means….no bueno…
- Breakfast – Fruit & Greens Smoothie in my new Vitamix!!!
- Lunch – Whole Grain Tortilla Salad Wrap – Kale, broccoli, onion, no-oil hummus, sun-dried tomato, roasted red peppers, black olives
- Dinner – Black-eyed Peas, steamed cabbage, Turnip Greens & Turnips, Carrot Cake.
Day 35: Left for Camp today & was able to bring lunch with me
- Breakfast – Pom Poms, avocado toast (Ezekiel Bread), & coffee w/unsweetened almond milk
- Lunch – Whole Grain Tortilla Wrap – Kale, no-oil hummus, shredded carrots, sun-dried tomato, onion, balsamic vinegar
- Snack – cashews, pistachios, apple slices, peanut butter cookies
- Dinner – First camp dinner – they had a salad bar! Thank the LORD! Romaine/Spinach salad with broccoli, black olives, sunflower seeds, bean salad, celery, hummus, Italian dressing.
Related Reading:Follow my journey from the beginning – Week 1
My weight loss on the nutritarian diet this week:
- Starting weight this week – 152 lbs
- Ending weight this week – 153.5 lbs
- Weight loss this week – gained 1.5 lbs
- Total weight loss so far – 10.5 lbs
My weight was after a got back from camp and the salad bar options got slimmer and slimmer as the week went on. That last day we were given turkey and cheese sandwiches on white bread with Lay’s chips and Capri Sun….yeah….
I’m hoping after I finish Week 6 that I can get back down to where I was. I think some of the weight gain was water weight because of the salt in the food I was eating.
All in all, I’m not disappointed because I was able to eat some salad during the days at camp and we did a lot of walking and hiking so I did get some good exercise. Plus it was a great time to spend with my oldest son!
Continue following my journey! What I ate Week 6 on the Eat to Live Diet