Have you ever found yourself at a party or barbecue, surveying the piles of meat & cheese-loaded dishes, and wondering, “What the heck am I going to eat?” Well, I’ve got news for you. You should come prepared with your own fabulous food! BUT, make sure you fill your plate first, before the meat eaters start drooling over your Zesty Mango Quinoa Salad and eat it for themselves!
How to cut the dang mango
This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I love and it helps keep this website running!
I absolutely LOVE mango. OMG, when you get a good ripe mango, there is nothing better. You may have to buy more than one, because if you are anything like me, you might end of eating most of the first mango you cut, before you start making this recipe.
So, how to cut the dang mango without slicing off a finger or two? Because when they are ripe, they are juicy, which means slippery!
One way is to go with a mango cutter like this. It works kind of like an apple corer, slicing off the flesh from the oblong pit on the inside. This is a pretty safe technique. Then I like to slice a criss-cross pattern in the flesh and then scoop it off with a spoon.
The easy way
Probably the easiest way is to just buy frozen mango and thaw it out. Then you can lay the large cubes on a cutting board and chop them up smaller if you like with a chef’s knife.
Be sure to rinse the quinoa so it doesn’t taste like crap
It’s really important that you rinse your uncooked quinoa really well to remove the saponin. Just rinse in a fine mesh sieve under running water until it runs clear. If you don’t do this your quinoa will taste bitter!
Any bean of your heart’s desire
I decided to go with chickpeas in this version, but you can use any bean you like or have in your pantry. Black beans are popular for mango salads, but red beans and white beans work, too!
More yummy & simple recipes you might like:
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- How to make Buddha Bowls
- Oil Free Vegan Pecan Vinaigrette Dressing
- Tofu Scramble Seasoning (tastes like real eggs!)
- Coconut Crusted Tofu w/ Pineapple Sauce
- Vegan Black Bean & Avocado Quesadillas
- Sweet & Creamy Chickpea Salad Sandwich
If you try this recipe, please comment below and let me know how it turned out for you!
Zesty Mango Quinoa Salad
- Rinse quinoa in a fine-mesh colander. Boil 2 cups of water in a medium size saucepan and add quinoa. Cover and simmer on low for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Whisk together the lime juice, garlic powder, & Italian Seasoning in a small bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cooked quinoa, mango, garbanzo beans, & cilantro. Top with the lime juice dressing and mix until well coated.
- Serving as is or over a bed of greens.