My husband’s favorite nutritarian dessert is Dr. Fuhrman’s Chocolate Cherry Cookies. This recipe is from my FAVORITE cookbook of his – Eat to Live Quick and Easy Cookbook. There are BEAUTIFUL pictures and sooo many wonderful recipes. There’s a little bit of something for everyone in there with very satisfying recipes including burgers and pizza.
When you have a craving for chocolate these little cookies will hit the spot. I like to have a dessert right after dinner and that helps me not overeat and satisfies me so I don’t do any “late night snacking”.
Standard disclosure – This post may contain links to affiliate products. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I use and love!
Double the chocolate cherry cookie recipe to have enough for the week and save time cooking
I always have to double my family’s favorite dessert recipes so I have enough for the week. This saves time too! I’ll cook double batches of desserts like these chocolate cherry cookies or peanut butter cookies (also from the quick and easy cookbook!) or a healthy vegan carrot cake.
Another favorite of my kids is the Fudgy Black Bean Brownies!
This chocolate cherry cookie recipe by Dr. Fuhrman is really easy, but you definitely need a food processor to make it. I don’t have any expensive food processor, I just have a basic one from Hamilton Beach, like this one.
You can ripen a banana in as little as 30 seconds!
You will want to use a ripe as possible banana. If it is not very ripe, you may need to add a little water so the dough isn’t too dry. You can also ripen up your banana by poking holes in the peel with a knife and microwaving for 30 seconds 1-2 times!
Although this recipe makes 24 small cookies (about a tablespoon or slightly bigger size), I sometimes like to make them slightly larger. They cook great either small or large size.
If you don’t have almond flour you can make your own VERY easily in about 1 minute. Place 1/2 cup of raw unsalted almonds in your food processor and pulse until you have flour consistency. Piece of cake!
Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- Chop dates and place in a bowl of warm water. Soak for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Place a silicone baking mat on a baking sheet or cover with parchment paper.
- Drain the dates and place in a food processor. Pulse until a ball starts to form. Add almond butter and banana. Blend until smooth.
- Add vanilla extract, cocoa powder, almond flour, and oats and blend until smooth. Add water if too dry or add oats if too wet. Add cherries and blend until combined.
- Place small spoonfuls on the baking sheet. Makes 24 cookies. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week.