One of the things I have missed since going mostly whole food plant based, are breakfast tacos from Rosa’s Cafe. I used to stop by almost daily and pick up a couple of chorizo and egg breakfast tacos. Soooo good! But NOT healthy….
Well, I saw on a Facebook group that there was “soy chorizo” and I knew I had to try it!
I couldn’t find it at Walmart or Kroger, but a little internet search told me it was at Whole Foods in Fort Worth which was about 15 minutes from me. I have also heard you can find it at Trader Joes.
Soy Chorizo & VeganEgg at Whole Foods
This post may contain affiliate links for your convenience. If you click a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I love!
The brand I bought at Whole Foods is called El Burrito Organic Soyrizo. I provided the link just so you can see what the product looks like – it is NOT that expensive! It is only about $4 at Whole Foods.
So then, as I was wandering through the aisles of Whole Foods checking out what vegan foods they had, I stumbled upon Vegan Eggs! And that’s when I KNEW I could make a soy chorizo and vegan egg breakfast taco! The vegan eggs are about $7.50 a package at Whole Foods and makes a lot of servings and is shelf stable.
VeganEgg can even be used in baking and all recipes that call for eggs. They even look like yellow scrambled eggs when you cook them by themselves.
I also bought Mi Rancho organic whole grain corn tortillas to keep this experiment whole food plant based. You could use whole grain wheat tortillas as well.
If you are watching your oil consumption, the soy chorizo does have a small about of soybean oil in its ingredients, but it is only 4 grams of fat so it isn’t very high considering. Sodium is a little high though at 410 mg. So this isn’t something I would eat everyday, but maybe once a week when I’ve got a craving for chorizo & egg tacos. Soy chorizo & vegan eggs have no cholesterol because they are plant based!
I thought these turned out pretty good – let me know what you think!
Soy Chorizo Vegan Egg Breakfast Tacos
- 1 12 ounce package El Burrito Organic Soyrizo
- 2 cups frozen tri-color peppers & onions
- 12 tablespoons Vegan Egg powder
- 3 cups ice cold water
- 18 whole grain corn tortillas
- fresh cilantro optional
- Remove the soy chorizo from its casing and crumble in a non-stick pan. Heat over medium heat for about 10 minutes, stirring often. Add the peppers & onions to the chorizo and continue to cook for about 5 minutes, stirring to combine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the vegan egg powder & cold water. Whisk until the powder is completely dissolved. This make take a few minutes!
- In a 2nd large skillet, pour the vegan egg liquid and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently. Vegan eggs take longer than regular eggs to cook, about 8-10 minutes. Cook until desired consistency is achieved.
- Mix egg & chorizo together in one of the pans or a dish. Spoon the egg and chorizo mixture into 3 whole grain corn tortillas. Garnish with cilantro if desired. Serve immediately!